Tuesday, July 3, 2012

BBQ Chicken with Sweet Potatoes

2 large chicken breasts
1 onion, sliced
2 sweet potatoes
1 jar of BBQ sauce - use good quality sauce, like Stubbs from Austin, TX


That's it! Just 4 ingredients!


This has to be the easiest meal I make. It takes minimal preparation and I can leave it alone for a while and go do other things. So delicious and super figure friendly too.

If you have chicken breasts that you've frozen, this is perfect for using them without having to defrost them first. Just add more time to the boiling. 

I even serve this at casual dinner parties. If I'm feeding more than 4 people, I add more chicken breasts. The sauce will stretch to cover 4 large chicken breasts. You will need 1 sweet potato per person. 

Have I mentioned that I love this recipe? Good. Ok then. 

In a large pot, add chicken and onion. Do NOT turn on the heat yet. 


Empty the jar of BBQ sauce into the pot. 


Fill the jar up with water. Put the lid back on. Look how clean my sink is! 


Shake the jar so that all of the sauce comes off the inside of the bottle and mixes with the water. 


Add the water to the pot. 


Stir everything together. 

Now turn on the heat. 


Cover the pot and bring it to a boil. When it's at a boil, reduce the heat to medium and set the timer for 20 minutes. Now go watch The Daily Show with John Stewart



While the chicken is boiling, "bake" sweet potatoes in the microwave. For details on how I like to do this, read this. Just don't mash them. Read on and you'll see what I mean. 

When the chicken is cooked through, take it out of the pot and set it on your cutting board. 


Turn the heat up to high on the sauce and let it reduce to about half. 


Using two forks, pull the chicken apart into shreds. Add the shredded chicken back to the pot. 


Stir to coat the chicken in the sauce. 


Cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise. 


Pile the chicken on top of the potato. Serve with a fork and knife. My husband eats the skin of the potato and I do not. I don't even need my knife. I just scoop out the yummy-ness with my fork. 


Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment