Sunday, July 29, 2012

Quiche

1 roll of Pillsbury pastry dough 
3 cups fresh spinach
2 tablespoons bacon, crumbled
1 cup ham, chopped
1 cup shredded cheese (swiss) 
1/4 red onion
6-8 eggs
salt
pepper
garlic powder

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Quiche is a great dish to make when you are cooking for guests. All the work is done in the beginning and then you have a half hour or more while it is cooking to do something else. After it comes out of the oven, you can leave it to cool on the counter and eat it at room temperature if you'd like. I prefer mine hot. 

This week when I went to the store, instead of buying all the ingredients for the quiche individually, I went by the salad bar and got everything that I needed. Not only was it more convenient, it also made it cheaper. I paid a little over $3.00 for all of the ingredients that go inside the egg mixture. Fantastic!

The first thing I did was to oil a pie pan and set the crust inside. I poked holes in the crust so that it wouldn't puff up when it baked. 


I put the crust into the oven for 10 minutes so it gets crunchy. 



While the crust was cooking, I took out the spinach and the cheese and set these aside. 


Then I sauted the red onion, the bacon and the ham together in a pan. 


While this was sizzling, I chopped the spinach. This way, no one will get a huge piece of spinach in their bite of quiche. 


In a large bowl, crack 6 - 8 eggs, depending on how "eggy" you want your quiche to be. I ended up using 8. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder. 


Scramble the eggs and add the spinach. 


Add the cheese and stir. 


Add the ingredients you were sauteing to the bowl. Stir. 

When the crust comes out of the oven, it will have a brown, delicious appearance. 


Pour all of the egg mixture into the crust. 


Bake for 30 minutes or until the center is firm. 




Be sure to bake it in the center of the oven. 

Slice into wedges. 



Enjoy!!










No comments:

Post a Comment